Avoid Injury In Sport
After a long offseason, it’s important to take the necessary steps to avoid injury when returning to your sport. Whether you’re a professional athlete or simply someone who enjoys playing sports recreationally, here are five ways to help prevent injuries:
- Start Slowly: Your body needs time to adjust to the increased physical demands of your sport. It’s important to start slowly, gradually increasing the intensity and duration of your workouts as your body gets stronger and more accustomed to the movements. This will help you avoid overuse injuries and reduce your risk of injury overall.
- Warm-up Properly: Before any physical activity, it’s essential to warm up your muscles to get them ready for the demands of your sport. This can include activities such as stretching, light jogging or cycling, or dynamic movements that mimic the motions of your sport. A good warm-up should last at least 10-15 minutes and gradually increase in intensity.
- Use Proper Technique: Proper technique is critical to prevent injury in any sport. This means taking the time to learn and practice the correct form for your movements. If you’re unsure about your technique, consider working with a coach or trainer to help you improve.
- Cross-train: Cross-training can help prevent injury by strengthening muscles that may not be used as much in your primary sport. For example, basketball players may benefit from running or weight training to improve their strength and endurance. Cross-training can also help prevent burnout by adding variety to your workouts.
- Listen to Your Body: Finally, it’s essential to listen to your body and take rest days as needed. If you experience pain or discomfort during or after a workout, take a break and give your body time to recover. Overtraining can lead to injury and may even force you to take more extended breaks in the future.
Returning to sports after an offseason can be challenging so if you need help with your pains or just want some advice feel free to contact the clinic today on 0578678904 or book now.
Yours in Health
Lawlor Clinic: Spine & Sport, Portlaoise, Laois